When you are promoting an author, or promoting yourself as an author, it’s extremely useful to make up an Author Bio sheet. In fact, it’s smart to make up a few versions. I’d recommend:
- 200 word version
- 400 word version
- 600 word version
- well presented PDF version with a headshot photo
If you have bios of three different lengths then you can cut and paste no matter what word limit the press ask for. A PDF version is also a great way to pass on information in a neat and professional format. Remember, the easier you make it for media to write about the author, the better chance you have of promotion.
The full bio sheet should include the following information:
- Author’s name as the title
- quality photo
- any professional qualifications or bragging rights listed separately
- a couple of paragraphs about the author, highlighting their style if they are a fiction writer, or their claim to authority on their topic area if they are a non-fiction writer
- mention of their book/s
- links to be their website, blog, books
Here is an example. Katherine Gordy Levine Bios Sheet
Did I miss anything out? Do you have further advice? Let me know in the Comments section.