Once your eBook is listed on Amazon, you have five main chances to convince a potential customer to hit on that “Buy now” button. They are:
- the cover
- the title
- the description
- what they read in the ‘Look Inside’ preview
Let’s explore the ‘Look Inside’ preview and how to make the most of it.
The keys things are:
- they need to sample your work, not get stuck looking at a copious amount of preliminary matter or reading about how your mother was always supportive in an acknowledgements section
- they need to get sucked in and want to read more than the preview provides
- they need to be reminded why they should buy your book
- they need to immediately be satisfied that the book is professional, with no irksome spelling mistakes or formatting nasties
So, what should you include?
- short and to the point preliminary information (copyright, ISBN)
- short table of contents – if it’s non-fiction, make sure it sells the main points in the book
- 1-3 sentences that pitch the book to the reader, or an inspirational/gripping quote if it’s fiction
- all this followed by the first chapter – launch straight into great writing
For a great example, take a look at the Look Inside preview for ‘When Good Kids Do Bad Things – A Survival Guide for Parents of Teenagers‘.